|27 September 2013|
| ||Completed my friends web site who needed an online presence for his business. M. Mee Electrical|
|04 September 2013|
|I have discovered in Windows 8 that moving the slider to the bottom does not fully disable UAC anymore. And I still have old programs which need UAC off in order to run correctly.|
You need to run secpol.msc -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options ->
User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode -> Disabled.
... in order to turn off UAC completely. Upon doing this it will prompt you to reboot your computer to turn off UAC.
|03 September 2013|
|Discovered you can have AES 256 bit encryption on Server 2003. Here's how:|
1) Install the fix KB948963 which will install the cipher suites AES 128 and AES 256.
2) The order of the cipher suites on Windows 2003 is hard-coded. AES 128 is the highest priority. AES 256 is the next. You will need to disable AES 128 then AES 256 will have the highest priority.
a) Open regedit.exe on the IIS 6.0 machine.
b) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM \CurrentControlSet \Control \SecurityProviders \SCHANNEL\ Ciphers. There are a number of subkeys, e.g. AES 128/128.
c) In subkey AES 128/128, create a DWORD value “Enabled”. Set it as the value 0. This will disable AES 128.
3) Reboot the IIS 6.0 machine.
|17 August 2013|
|I remembered a post on Stackoverflow.com which I had previously solved which might come in handy.|
If you need to convert from unix to .net date or vice verca these small functions take into account daylight saving.
Public Function UnixToTime(ByVal strUnixTime As String) As Date
UnixToTime = DateAdd(DateInterval.Second, Val(strUnixTime), #1/1/1970#)
If UnixToTime.IsDaylightSavingTime = True Then
UnixToTime = DateAdd(DateInterval.Hour, 1, UnixToTime)
Public Function TimeToUnix(ByVal dteDate As Date) As String
If dteDate.IsDaylightSavingTime = True Then
dteDate = DateAdd(DateInterval.Hour, -1, dteDate)
TimeToUnix = DateDiff(DateInterval.Second, #1/1/1970#, dteDate)
|05 August 2013|
|Tasked with finding a “good” free-to-distribute OCR (Optical Character Recognition) engine recently, I found the OCR engine world to be quite a populated place. After trialling around 10 OCR engines I did find a winner.|
There appear to be the top level entrants like LeadTools who do quite stunning results from their OCR, but their per-client distribution cost is high.
Then there appear to be a lot of engines built on the (Google) Tesseract engine, but don’t seem to have the reliability and quality needed for the task I required.
Finally, I ended up trying a Russian company called Nicomsoft who have a reasonable engine indeed, and no per-client distribution cost, just a (relatively) low 4 figure GBP price for the initial purchase of a developer license. Although initially wary due to not dealing with a Russian company before, we went ahead with the purchase and the updates and support has been great so far. Surprised to find a solution from Russia!
|Older Posts >>|